Sunday, July 31, 2011

What do you have in your garden?

Did I say that gardening was a hobby of ours? What I really mean is, it is our job. It is truly insane at the amount of work it takes to grow a garden. Especially one that will give you produce throughout the winter. At the beginning of the summer, Will didn't allow me to do much in the garden yet, even during nap times I had other things to do. Maybe that's just an excuse? Now that it is harvest time in our garden, I have been trying to make more of an effort of going outside during Wills nap time. The inside of our house is taking notice of this but oh well, soon it will be winter and I will be cooped up for months.


We like to chop up the onions and freeze them, they are then ready to go when cooking. Just put the amount you want in the pan or in ground hamburger for meat loaf.


Green beans are the same way as onions, if you freeze them you just have to drop them in water to boil before they thaw out and you are good to go!


Corn. What a pain in my butt. It is so worth it though. I have had corn that you freeze on the cob but for some reason, it has a rubbery texture until it is cut off the cob. The 'recipe' I use is as follows:

4 quarts corn
1 quart water
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 tsp. salt

Mix it all up and then put the amount you want in freezer bags and enjoy all winter long. The last several years, we have gotten 45-50 bags. So far this year, we only have 12. This makes me sad. The corn is not done yet though, I have about that many more and then Dennis planted some a lot later in the season so they will not be ready for another couple of weeks. That is if the heat didn't kill the crop!




Tomatoes, peppers, and potatoes are not even close to being done. Well, the potatoes are done, I just couldn't dig anymore in the scorching heat (at 9:00 PM, see the clock!) Peppers are the same as onions. If you have them cut up and ready to be put in whatever you are cooking or baking then they are okay to freeze. If they thaw out they get very slimy and gross! YUCK!!!

Since the tomatoes are not done all at once, I will have several days of skinning them and freezing them so that when we have enough, we can start making spaghetti sauce!!!! YEAH!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment