Saturday, September 24, 2011

Pumpkin Meringues

I have always loved meringues. I think they are about my favorite cookie. They are light and airy, yet delicious no matter what your taste is, because, you can change the flavor to what ever you please. Do you love pumpkin pie? I'm sure the answer is yes. If so, you will love these!!

The main ingredient in any meringues are: egg whites, cream of tartar, sugar and a flavor of your choice.

I get so tiered of waisting the egg yolks so yesterday, I bought some egg white beaters. This was the first time I have ever used egg white beaters. I think I like them!
You beat the egg whites, cream of tartar, and salt on medium speed until you have soft peaks form. I know, the soft peak is hard to see in this picture but I tried. At least you get the idea of the foaming going on here.


You will then add the sugar one tablespoon at a time. Will did an excellent job at helping me with this. It back fired on me later... stay tooned. After adding the sugar, add the pumpkin pie spice, vanilla, and any coloring if you so choose to use any. You will beat on high until stiff peaks form.


Nope, not yet. Keep beating (and push the kid away from the sink full of soapy water so he doesn't continue to add tablespoons of unwanted ingredients into the batter.) (And then drop the Tablespoon into the mixer and end up with a very bent measuring spoon.)


Those are some nice, stiff peaks!!-----
V V V V


Some, recipes have you dollop the batter onto waxed paper. I like to put them in a zip lock baggie and cut the end off. So much easier. Be sure to have the zipper completely closed so you don't have a blow out like I did... that is not so much easier.


Bake at 250* for 40-45 minutes and then turn your oven off and leave them in the oven until it is cooled. Then take out and enjoy!!





Beautiful! And delish!


Pumpkin pie meringues:


2 egg whites
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract


In a small bowl, beat egg whites, cream of tartar and salt on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high until stiff peaks form. Add pie spice and vanilla.


Place egg white mixture in a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip. Pipe 1-1/2-in.-diameter pumpkins onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets.


Bake at 250° for 40-45 minutes or until set and dry. Turn oven off; leave meringues in oven for 1-1/2 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment