Sunday, March 6, 2011

Chocolate Cherry Cola cupcakes, with red licorice filling, and marshmallow frosting


This was a copy from the show Cupcake Wars on The Food network channel. It was a very fun cupcake to make. I have enjoyed finding so many fun recipes. First of all, if you have never seen this show, you need to. You will get addicted!
These chocolate cherry cola cupcakes were easy to make, they are your typical cupcake recipe. The only thing to say about this cupcake is when it says to fill 3/4 full, it really mean 1/2 or less! They overflowed all over the pan, it looked like I was baking a sheet cake!


The recipe says that red vine licorice is the best kind but, apparently no one in the entire town sells red vine licorice. I did find this Australian licorice. I bought some with Twizzlers just to see what one would taste more like Red Vine. I ended up using about half and half.

You have to boil the licorice in water for a while until most of the licorice is melted... There will always be some chucks left but that's okay right?


Then adding some sugar, corn starch, and other ingredients, you boil that until it becomes this thick. Takes forever... trust me. After about 15 minutes of sitting and whisking, it became the right consistency.


Time to inject the cupcakes! This is supper easy. It isn't even necessary to cut a hole in them, just put your tip inside the cupcake and fill away!


This is the marshmallow frosting. I'm not quite sure why it is called marshmallow because it is really a meringue. After beating the frosting for well over 20 minutes, I still didn't have the right consistency to make it look like a true frosting. It tastes amazing but ended up more like a ganache.


Apparently, I forgot to take a picture of the finished product. Just imagine the cupcake with a white layer on top. For Will's birthday I have made some chocolate cowboy hats I will lay on top of them. Can't wait!!!! Can you tell? ;)

1 comment: