Saturday, April 23, 2011

Modeling Chocolate and Fondant



By far, the easiest thing in decorating. It is easy to make, easy to use, just easy in general! I also made my own fondant. This was also very easy, time consuming, but easy. Not having any of the utensils that you need to make fondant flowers and things, I had to just use my hands to mold the flowers. These are 'supposed' to be jonquils. Yes, they do have a mold for these, if I had them. Who knew that you can have so many different decorating utensils.


So, Nikki came over after I had made the modeling chocolate and she wanted to play. I showed her what I was wanting to make with the cake and so she helped. She made the squirrel but didn't have time to make the fur. He still isn't done, I just wanted to show you this little guy. I'm pretty excited about all this! So much fun!







This is my little guy. I made a bunny! Maybe I'm a little bias but I think he's pretty cute. I actually just made him a little girlfriend but I haven't taken a picture of her yet. You will have to wait for a later post.














Nikki also made the little blue birds. Can they get any cuter?!?! All of these will go on top of a cake that will be a tree stump. This cake is taking way to much time for an Easter cake but I really needed to practice my decorating. I have full confidence in my cakes, even ones that I am making for the first time, I have the full belief that it will taste amazingly moist and delicious. Even the fillings, they are so easy! So, this cake may have taken me a total of 6+ hours already and I still have to put it all together but I am enjoying every minute of it as I need the practice!

Modeling Chocolate
2 1/2 cups + 2Tbs. white chocolate chips
1/2 cup corn syrup

Melt the chocolate in microwave at 30 second intervals stirring each time. Once fully melted, stir in the corn syrup, let stand for at least 20 minutes. Knead together like bread dough. You may keep in an air tight container up to 6 months in room temperature.

Marshmallow fondant
16 oz marshmallows (not jet puffed)
2 Tbs water
1 Tbs. glycerin (I used corn syrup)
2 drams of Lorann butter flavor (A dram is those little bottles of oil that is in my last post. I just used 2 tsp of another extract that I had)
2 lbs powdered sugar

Melt Marshmallows and water in microwave for about 1 minute. Do not go over 90 seconds. Add the rest except the powdered sugar. If you are coloring your fondant, this is the time to add your color. Trust me, its tough to color once it is hard like rubber! Then add about 1/2 of the powdered sugar and get it mixed really well. Then you may add the rest. Adding it in two prevents clumps. This will get challenging. The original recipe calls for you to make this with an electric mixer. I have no idea how it will not blow your motor because of how hard this is to mix. I just greased my hands up and went in! After about 15 minutes of mixing, my arm aching, and a kid wanting to be put to bed, I had fondant. 100% better tasting than store bought!

No comments:

Post a Comment