Sunday, April 17, 2011

Spun (Poured) Sugar

Okay, since I post all about my baking, my failures should be included, right? I had the idea that if I made spun sugar and balled it up to make it look like a birds nest, it would be pretty cute and make a great cupcake topper. Turns out, I need practice. The idea of making the sugar spun is that you have a 'shaker' and you throw it back and forth vigorously to make the strands of sugar. This was my creative idea to get the rods about 12" apart. I didn't have a the shaker that is talked about in spun sugar recipes so I just tried to drizzle it back and forth with my spatula. This technique made me thankful for the fact that it was cold so I was wearing socks. Hot sugar is well, hot. So, I had the idea of maybe aluminum foil with holes in it will work as a 'shaker'. Just so you know, it doesn't work.

I halved the recipe of: 2 lbs granulated sugar, 1 lb corn syrup, 1 pint water.


You bring this all to a boil to about 250 degrees.

With all my failures, I resorted to this. Pour the sugar out on a silicone mat and let cool for a few minutes. I then cut circles out to wrap around Easter eggs.
Let the sugar cool and carefully remove the eggs.


Ta-DA! Little sugar eggs. As another side note: I added orange flavoring and green food coloring. Why green? I'm not sure, I don't think I would care for green eggs. Don't tell Dr. Seuss.

After trying this attempt, I am now watching YouTube videos on how to make spun sugar, and learning that a whisk would have worked!!!! I'm excited to try this again as sugar really is a work of art! Try it for yourself and you will find this out!

No comments:

Post a Comment