Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Cake Pops step by step!

You start off by just baking a cake. Any flavor you choose, it doesn't matter. I just use a box cake mix. If you so choose to, you may make it by scratch, but unless you are baking for someone with an allergy, it really is pointless.

After the cake is baked and cooled, you crumble it all up.








See, crumbled!!!


After the entire cake mix is crumbled, you will add half a can of frosting. If you so choose to make the frosting by scratch, just add about that much. Again, unless making cake pops for someone with an allergy, I'd say it's pointless. It's very easy and inexpensive to just use the store bought cake and icing.






I forgot to take a picture of it all blended together. Go figure right?! After it is all thick and blended well together, I use a small cookie scoop (ice cream scoop, whatever really, just make sure it is small, about 1") and start balling the cake mix up. This is one of the most time consuming parts of cake pops.

Once they are all balled up, they must be chilled. If you want to put them in the refrigerator over night or in the freezer for about 15 minutes, either would work fine.








While they are chilling, it is time to melt your chocolate. Note, these white chocolate chips do not melt, I repeat, do NOT melt! I had quite the issue making these cake pops.










Once the cake balls are chilled and your chocolate is melted, you will dip the end of the sticks only about 1/4" and stick about half way threw the cake ball. This needs to harden so the ball stays on the stick.











Once you have all the sticks in the cake balls, the first ones you stuck should be dry enough to do this next step! You will gently drop the cake pop into the melted chocolate. You do not want to swirl the cake pop as it will either fall off the stick or you will end up with cake remnants in the chocolate and will end up making other cake pops bumpy.


You will want to tap your wrist that is holding the cake pop to aid in getting the excesses chocolate off.



Once the cake pop is fully covered, you can sprinkle some cute candies on it while it is still damp. After they are all dry, if you have little baggies you can bag them up. This is not a necessary step, just something I do if I am selling them. It prevents any nastiness getting to them before they are delivered.







I did make a few extra balls and of course, always have left over chocolate to try out a new candy mold I bought. I am planning on making these for Halloween for my few trick-or-treaters, only Halloween colors of course! I'm pretty excited for the way it turned out!!!!









2 comments:

  1. You're amazing. I love all the neat things you do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jennifer, just glad I can share!
    ~Natalie

    ReplyDelete