Friday, October 9, 2009

Un-wanted visitor!

Most of the time when a person sees a snake they may jump a little, there heart skip a beat or three, or some other way that their body shows fear. When this happens, the snake is usually living in it’s own habitat and we are invading their homes. Well, yesterday I came across a snake that was invading our (Dennis and my) home.

I had decided to clean up the porch a little in hopes that this would persuade Dennis in having the baby’s room down stairs and not up. The mini refrigerator that is not hooked up did not need to be stored on the porch. So I got it cleared off and decided to take it to the basement. I am carefully taking it down as not to drop it on my feet or worse yet, drop it and make me fall all the way down the rickety, steep stairs. The basement to me has always been a use at own risk place. It is home for many spiders, mice, and other animals that I do not wish to share a dwelling with. So, I make it to about the 4th step left and start looking at the walls fully expecting to find a mouse hanging out on the brick foundation as I have so many time before. I look to my left not seeing anything in their usual hang out spot, and then I look to my right. For a full twenty seconds I am unable to move. I am not really sure what is going through my head nor am I sure if my heart was beating the entire time. Not sure if I was even awake or if it was a dream until my head was able to wrap around what I was seeing. Sure enough, not ten inches from my head was small, green head that was sticking its tonge out rapidly to see what I smelled like and to find out if I was a real predator or not. Attached to its head is a lime green body with a yellow belly that was displaying how well it can wrap itself around wires and how little of a crack it need to get into a space. Only showing about 24-30 inches of it's who knows how long body. Once I came back to reality knowing the situation that I was in, I carefully finished caring the mini-refrigerator down the remaining four steps.

As soon as this task is done without the snake dropping on my head, I managed to take a picture with my phone. I send it Dennis knowing he would do nothing about and think that I left the house for the day. Later finding out he never got the picture of this three foot snake in our house, he would have been right that I left the house for quite some time. I start calling anyone who may know how to get snakes out of a house. My first call, the vet. I know that is not what they do but maybe they would have a trick up their sleeve. Nope, next call, Schendel Pest Control. Again, I know it is not the pest they deal with but they had a solution. Sticky traps. I then left the house and procrastinated going home as long as I could. I buy six of the sticky traps as that is what they advised. I was also told to buy some snake away. As much as I do not want this monster in our home, I am still money conscious… So snake away, thirty dollars, moth balls (apparently the same thing) five dollars. So, I bought some moth balls and now our home smells bad and is the home of the most not wanted animal there is. As the snake is still not captured, I enter my house cautiously and keep a wide open eye at all times. No nightmare happened last night but if this pest does appear in the upstairs, I do believe I will move into my in-laws and work lots of overtime!

No comments:

Post a Comment